Summertime brings swimsuit season, festivals, and of course the heat, which many of us love. However, for some the thought of summer brings anxiety, stress and distractions, not to mention the number that the sun can do on skin and hair. However, the use of essential oils is an inexpensive natural way to aid you in keeping your cool, and looking fabulous as you do so.
What Are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are volatile plant based oils that have been used for centuries in beauty and medicinal preparations. You can find essential oils readily available at your local pharmacy or health foods store ranging in price from $3USD upward of $15USD. Essential oils can be placed in a diffuser, on a cotton ball or napkin for inhalation or directly on the skin if it has been blended with a plant based oils such as sweet almond oil.
1. Beauty Sleep: A good night’s sleep is essential for feeling your best, and looking vibrant. Lavender Essential Oil: Relieves stress, assists in relaxing and getting to sleep.
2. Depression: If summer puts you in the doldrums, you may not feel inclined to do anything. Bergamot Essential Oil: Assists in relieving stress and depression accompanied by anxiety.
3. Acne and Oily Skin: There’s nothing worse than fussing with blemishes and oily skin during the summer. Lemongrass Essential Oil: As a natural astringent, lemongrass has anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties, which help to cut oil and clear skin without over-drying.
4. Dandruff: Contrary to popular belief, dandruff is not due to a dry scalp, but instead is a result of cellular turnover. Cedar Wood Essential Oil: Is a triple threat having properties as an astringent, fungicidal, and antiseptic, making it ideal for treating dandruff, and excessively oily scalp which can contribute to a condition known as seborrheic eczema.
5. Hair: The sun can wreak havoc on even the best of manes, causing the hair shaft to become dry and brittle. Tea Tree Essential Oil: As a natural astringent this oil will unclog hair follicles and work to keep the scalp hydrated.